The second Gym Stadium you’ll have to take on in the Galar region is Hulbury’s own Hulbury Stadium, which focuses on Water-type Pokémon — fitting, as it is right by the sea.
Its Gym Leader, Nessa, uses strong Water-type Pokémon. Water-types have just two weaknesses: Electric and Grass. If you started with Grookey, you’ll be in excellent shape for this Gym; on the other hand, if you started with Scorbunny, you’re going to want some help from a Grass- or Electric-type Pokémon.
Getting Through the Gym Mission
The Gym Mission in Hulbury Stadium involves using buttons to control where water is pouring down from the ceiling. There are three different colored button and pressing each one will clear one path while opening up another.
Making your way through these facility will take a bit of trial and error. Here’s how to solve the Hulbury Gym Stadium puzzle:
- From the start, walk across the blue path, fight the Gym Trainer, and then press the red button.
- Cross the red path and press the yellow button.
- Press the red button again and then cross the red and yellow paths that are available to you.
- Ignore the red button along the way; instead, cross another set of yellow and red grates.
- Fight Gym Trainer Heather and then press the yellow button.
- Walk down to the yellow path, cross it, and press the red button.
- You’ll now be able to cross the northernmost path all the way to the left side of the room.
- Fight Gym Trainer Lynn, then go south of her and press the yellow button. (Don’t press the red button you see on the left-hand side of the screen just yet!)
- Go back up to Gym Trainer Lynn, cross the blue grate and press the red button.
- Cross the red grate that opened up and then press the blue button there.
- Go down the stairs to the right, then north and you’ll reach the entrance to the inner part of the Stadium, completing the Gym Mission.
- You’ll then be able to take on Nessa, the Water-type Gym Leader.
- After defeating Nessa, you’ll receive the Water Badge and be able to catch Pokémon up to level 30. You’ll also get TM36 Whirlpool and the Water Uniform.
Gym Leader Battle
Two of Nessa’s Pokémon, her Goldeen and her Arrokuda, both have the Water-type move Whirlpool, which will do a fair amount of damage but also deal damage between each turn while also prevent you from switching out. Keep that in mind when fighting them!
Goldeen can also speed itself up with Agility and potentially confuse you with Water Pulse. Arrokuda can also strike first (unless you use a move with priority) with Aqua Jet. Other than that, the two are relatively uneventful Water-type Pokémon and don’t have anything to counter Grass- or Electric-type Pokémon.
Nessa’s Drednaw is a definite threat, though, due to how hard it can hit. It has high Attack from the get-go, has powerful moves like Razor Shell and Headbutt, and will Dynamax on the first turn. Dynamax Drednaw’s Max Geyser hits very hard and also sets up rain, which will power up its subsequent uses of Water-type moves, while Max Strike also hits hard and lowers your Speed. Despite being a tortoise, Drednaw isn’t actually as slow as it looks.
- Talk to Ball Guy at the entrance of the Gym and he will give you a Lure Ball.
- You get TM36 Whirlpool after beating Nessa.
- You’ll also get the Water Uniform for your victory here.
- As you leave the Stadium, Chairman Rose’s assistant, Oleana, will give you Rose’s League Card and tell you to meet him in the seafood restaurant.
- Go to the restaurant to the east of the Pokémon Center and you’ll talk to Rose, Oleana, and Sonia.
- Sonia will give you TM79 Retaliate after the conversation is over.
- Hop will tell you that the next Gym Leader, Kabu, is in Galar Mine No. 2 to the east doing some special training, so that’s your next destination.
- Rose’s League Card is given to you by Oleanna after leaving the Stadium.
- TM79 Retaliate is given to you by Sonia in the restaurant.