Where To EV Train in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl & Platinum

Pokémon Diamond & Pearl did a lot to help make EV Training better, most importantly by adding the extremely useful Power Items — Power Belt, Power Bracer, etc. These items, combined with the usefulness of the Vs. Seeker, make EV Training in the Sinnoh games pretty smooth. This guide covers Pokémon Platinum as well.

You’ll ideally want to have a set of the Power Items before EV Training, as they make things much faster. If you don’t have them available, then the Macho Brace will do. Lastly, if you’re fortunate enough to get the Pokérus, that will speed up your EV Training by a lot.

EV Training Spots

Platinum is similar enough to Diamond & Pearl that a lot of the same spots will work, although there are a few differences between the two. You may notice Diamond & Pearl being abbreviated to “DP” while Platinum is abbreviated to “Pt” in the listing below.

HP

  • On Route 213, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Tuber Jared, who uses three Gastrodon at either levels 51–53 (DP) or just level 51 (Pt) in the final rematch, giving 2 HP EVs each for a total of 6 HP EVs per battle.
  • Diamond/Pearl only: On Route 209, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Cowgirl Shelley, who uses five Bidoof at levels 14–16 (1 HP EV each), for a total of 5 HP EVs per battle.
  • Bidoof (Route 201 — 50%) gives 1 HP EV.
  • Shellos (Route 205 South — 45% in DP, 65% in Pt) gives 1 HP EV.

Attack

  • Platinum only: On Route 215, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Black Belt Gregory, who uses three Machop at level 23 (1 Attack EV each), for a total of 3 Attack EVs per battle. Cut is required in order to reach him.
  • Diamond/Pearl only: On Route 214, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight PI Carlos, who uses three Seaking at levels 56–58 (2 Attack EVs each) in the final rematch, for a total of 6 Attack EVs per battle.
  • Diamond/Pearl only: On Route 212 North, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Rich Boy Jason, who uses a Luxio at level 19 (2 Attack EVs).

Defense

  • Platinum only: On Route 207, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Hiker Kevin, who uses three Geodude at levels 17–19 (1 Defense EV each) and an Onix at level 19 (1 Defense EV), for a total of 4 Defense EVs per battle.
  • Geodude and Hippopotas both give 1 Defense EV and are the only Pokémon that can be encountered in the Maniac Tunnel on Route 214.

Special Attack

  • Diamond/Pearl only: On Route 214, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Collector Douglas, who uses three Roselia at levels 20–24 (2 Special Attack EVs each), for a total of 6 Special Attack EVs per battle.
  • Gastly can be found 100% of the time in the Old Chateau if no game is in the GBA slot and gives 1 Special Attack EV each.
  • Golduck can be found while surfing in the Resort Area and gives 2 Special Attack EVs each. It is found there at level 35–55 in any game. There’s a 100% chance of finding it in Diamond & Pearl and a 90% chance in Platinum, with a 10% chance of finding Psyduck (1 Special Attack EV) instead.

Special Defense

  • Tentacruel (Route 223 — 60% while surfing) and Mantyke (Route 223 — 10% while surfing) both give Special Defense EVs, with Tentacruel giving 2 Special Defense EVs each and Mantyke giving 1 Special Defense EV each.
  • Tentacool (various routes — 60% while surfing) and the rarer Tentacruel (5% while surfing) also give Special Defense EVs, but are available at lower levels. Tentacool gives 1 Special Defense EV each while Tentacruel gives 2 Special Defense EVs each.
  • Diamond/Pearl only: On Route 214, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Beauty Devon, who uses a Wormadam at level 24 (2 Special Defense EVs).

Speed

  • On Route 205 North, you can use the Vs. Seeker to fight Fisherman Andrew, who uses six Magikarp at either level 10 (DP) or levels 8–16 (Pt), giving 1 Speed EV each for a total of 6 Speed EVs per battle.

How Many EVs You’ll Actually Gain

It’s important to keep in mind that all of the numbers listed above for how many EVs each Pokémon give are their base yield, so that’s before any multipliers or bonuses. The actual number you’ll get should be much higher than that.

It’s also very important to remember that, for any fights where you use the Vs. Seeker, you need to count each Pokémon you knock out separately for the sake of determining EVs. This can sometimes be a bit confusing, but it’s necessary when using the Power Items due to the order of operations.

For instance, let’s say you fight against Fisherman Andrew, who has six Magikarp that each give 1 Speed EV. The listing says it’s a total of 6 EVs, which, yes, one Magikarp times six is 6 EVs. If you’re using the Macho Brace and/or the Pokérus (on its own), then you can easily double everything and it still makes sense, but if you are using, say, the Power Anklet, then each Magikarp is giving 1 + 4 EVs — 5 EVs each, for a total of 30 EVs per battle against him (or 10 EVs each for a total of 60 EVs per battle if you have the Pokérus).

Just remember to count each Pokémon’s base EV yield individually if you’re using the Power Items. (This isn’t necessary if you’re using the Macho Brace — you can just double or, with the Pokérus, quadruple the total EVs from the fight and it will be accurate.)

Here’s a little cheatsheet for how much EVs you’ll gain (the base EV yield is the number you see listed in the encounters):

  • If you have no Macho Brace, Power Item, or Pokérus…
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 1, you’ll get 1 EV each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 2, you’ll get 2 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 3, you’ll get 3 EVs each.
  • If you have the Macho Brace but no Pokérus or the Pokérus but no Macho Brace…
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 1, you’ll get 2 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 2, you’ll get 4 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 3, you’ll get 6 EVs each.
  • If you have the Macho Brace and the Pokérus…
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 1, you’ll get 4 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 2, you’ll get 8 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 3, you’ll get 12 EVs each.
  • If you have a Power Item but no Pokérus…
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 1, you’ll get 5 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 2, you’ll get 6 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 3, you’ll get 7 EVs each.
  • If you have a Power Item and the Pokérus…
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 1, you’ll get 10 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 2, you’ll get 12 EVs each.
    • If the Pokémon’s base EV yield is 3, you’ll get 14 EVs each.
©2000–2012, 2019 Marriland and its licensors. All rights reserved.
Pokémon characters and names are copyright © The Pokémon Company and/or Nintendo.